Thursday, March 3, 2011

Some things are just meant to be...

Short back-story:
My favorite aunt, has kidney failure and has been on dialysis for about 3 years now.  Her sisters have tested to donate her a kidney, but 2/3 were not a good match, and the 3rd one backed out 2 months before scheduled surgery.  Undecided  Since she was diagnosed, I've harbored thoughts of donating, but she kept having donors so I didn't think she needed me.  Finally, after this last upset...my aunt was completely devastated.  My family on my dad's side are devout Catholics...and when I heard she was losing her faith in God, I was stunned, and I knew I had to do something. 

I went in for the blood test 2 weeks ago and just got the results yesterday!!!  I'm a 5 out of 6 antigen match...which was better than all her sisters and her daughter!  We have the same blood type, and the cross-match showed that her blood did not reject my own.  The transplant coordinator actually said "wow"  Grin Grin

I am so elated...beyond words.  My aunt is one of the most beautiful, strong and supportive women I've ever known.  Her daughter and I are 9 months apart, we're like sisters...my cousin is my best friend.  I have never felt so right about anything in my life.  When I heard how hurt, and down she was I knew exactly what needed to be done.   Deep down, I knew I was going to be a near perfect match, and I knew it was going to be me.  Not only is this the right thing, this is the good thing to do.  My aunt and my cousin are deeper than family to me.

So...next steps...I have to go through another 3 days of testing. 
Day 1: 24 hour home urine collection  Undecided Undecided Undecided ewww... and if I don't do exactly 24 hours, they'll KNOW, and I'll have to do it all over again  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Day 2: More blood tests, EKG, cat-scan and chest x-ray
Day 3: Consultation w/the nephrologist (kidney doctor/surgeon), a psycho-social evaluation and support structure evaluation.

After all these tests, hopefully without repeats, I meet with the surgeon and we pick which kidney and set a date.  This whole process can take up to 6 months, I'm hoping I do everything right the first time and I won't have to do anything twice (esp the urine collection).

I've spoken with my parents, sisters, cousins, friends and co-workers...everyone is so supportive.  The more I talk about it, the more I feel comfortable with my decision and I know I'm doing the good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment