Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day

Is it a little irritating that International Women's Day falls on FAT Tuesday? Yes.  Some kind of sick joke by the powers that be :-P

But joking aside...this is a special day to remember the women around the world.  I feel so fortunate I'm able to give life to a woman I love dearly.  Today, I'm thinking of the women in other parts of the globe that don't have the resources I do here.  They are oppressed, slaves, second class citizens, some are just considered trash.  Some don't have the  ability to "change their stars" like we do here, and we take it for granted.

My sister is a mother of two, and a daughter, she's the eldest of four girls.  She makes everything seem so effortless.  Like rain she's a natural element that can move mountains, soft and caring, giving life.  How lucky am I to know her and to have her as a role model.

I signed a petition today to help stop South Africa's "Corrective Rape".  Men are raping lesbians to "cure" them of their sexuality.  I'm just appalled, and I wish there was more I could do.  If there was a way, I would.  I encourage everyone to just sign...there are women losing their lives because of their sexuality...it's just not right.

Some songs I'm listening to in honor of today -

 John Mayer - Daughters

Jamie Foxx - Heaven

Tupac - Dear Mama

Spice Girls - Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment