Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Daddy's Little Girl

Day 14 - A picture of someone you could never imagine your life without

Dad in Thailand 1980

My Dad... Obviously I wouldn't be here if it weren't for him.  But aside from his biological contribution to my existence, he has always been there for me.  It's easy to make a baby, it takes a very special person to be a good parent.  So amazing where your child is sure beyond a doubt that you love her.

My parents divorced when I was 11-ish.  Damn, was that an ugly mess.  When my dad started dating again, I was furious and threw a huge fit...my poor father, put aside his happiness for me.  Never again did I see him with another woman until I was mature enough.

When my mom would disappear for days, weekends at a time, I would cry myself to sleep...I'd wonder why she would leave my little sister and me to fend for ourselves.  Get ourselves ready for school, make our lunches, if we were out of money or food...well you're just shit out of luck aren't ya?  Even though Dad was 2 states and 1,200 miles away...a phone call would always make things alright.  He would fly us over just for the weekend.  He never missed a viola recital, swim competition, father-daughter sock-hop or choir concert...well if work permitted.

He gave me my love of cars, taking things apart and putting them back together.  "I can fix anything" was his motto.  That goes for broken toys, cars, and even...yes, broken hearts.

As I got older, he let me stay with him whenever I was going through a hard break-up or too drunk to drive home.  Though I wont divulge in details, he's gotten me out of some serious pickles..at the cost of hour-long lectures and scoldings.  Anytime I've ever been in real trouble, my dad has been there to save me.

Now, we have lunch at least once a week.  He doesn't always agree with what I do with my time or approve of who I do it with...but one thing I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt...he will always be in my corner.

This man has shaped me to who I am in every way possible.  If I ever found myself in some crazy parallel universe...I never want to meet myself as the girl without her father.  He's taught me everything.  He is my everything.  The next man that comes into my life has some serious bars to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment