Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Big Waste-Changed my life

I will never look at food the same way after watching the Food Network show- The Big Waste

Over 40% of the food grown in America is never eaten!! How is this possible?!?! In 2010, 48.8 million Americans lived in food insecure households, 32.6 million adults and 16.2 million children (from FeedingAmerica.org)  This show does open my eyes, that yes there is SO much waste, and the people that need to be fed, aren't getting food.  I'm sure these farmers, grocers, would not be able to make a decent living if they did sell their "blemished" produce at a better price.  Could they donate their overage?  Probably not... Would you throw a fit if you found out your son's school cafeteria made his lunch with "waste" from the farm....I thought so.  (even though this "waste" is probably fresher and healthier than what he's getting now)

On the show, these grocery owners, produce farmers, wholesellers gave all their "trash" away to these famous chefs...my question is...If I showed up at their back door, would I get the same treatment?

The problem does not lie in the amount of waste...the problem lies in the American people.  We are trained to only accept perfection.  There are so many rules and regulations that would prevent these farmers to donate produce, or for me to show up and take their trash.  What is the solution then?  Is there a solution?  I cannot accept that there is nothing we can do.

I do appreciate the things that the folks over at Freegan do...they teach "waste reclamation" and an alternate lifestyle.  Please have a read.

If you do have a chance, please catch The Big Waste on Food Network...it might change the way you look at things.

No comments:

Post a Comment