Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Insomnia Strikes Again

Post Valentine's Day, and after a night out with my girlfriends, I find myself unable to sleep.   The only thing going through my mind at the moment is the French lullaby, Au Clair de la Lune.  My mom used to sing that to me to go to sleep, so perhaps my sleep deprived subconscious is trying to get me into a REM cycle.

"Au clair de la lune" means "Under the moonlight"  The song speaks of the search for a pen to write, under the moonlight.  Funny, I now lay in bed, au clair de lune, searching for inspiration.  

Lyrics go something like this
(from what I can remember, there are several more verses)

Au clair de la lune
Mon ami Pierrot
Prête-moi ta plume
Pour écrire un mot
Ma chandelle est morte
Je n'ai plus de feu
Ouvre-moi ta porte
Pour l'amour de Dieu

"Under the moonlight,
My friend Pierrot
Lend me your pen*,
So I could write a word
My candle is out,
I've no more light
Open your door for me,
For God's sakes"




Ce qui embellit le désert, dit le petit prince, c'est qu'il cache un puits quelque part...Antoine de Saint Exupéry

No comments:

Post a Comment